PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM
The Graduate Certificate in Leadership (GCL) is a 24-hour program (six courses) designed to equip leaders with the essential knowledge, attitudes, perspectives, and experiences necessary to understand and embrace key concepts associated with transformational leadership and incarnational living. Some of the skills needed in today’s leadership roles include the ability to communicate, motivate, coach, strategize, empower others, develop effective teams, build relationships, and be aware of one’s own strengths and weaknesses. Students are able to develop a concentration in one of two areas: 1) Professional Development, or 2) Missional-Church Studies. The program is for the following:
- Those who need further training to enhance and transform internal and external leadership skills to keep pace with evolving needs in the local and global marketplace;
- Current and future pastors, administrators, ministry leaders, missionaries, teachers, coaches, church-planters, counselors, and business-as-mission leaders.
The standard academic prerequisite for the GCL is a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. Applicants should have a minimum GPA of 2.7 on a 4.0 scale. Applicants must have read and signed that they are in agreement with and will uphold the Doctrinal Statement, that they will abide by the Biblical Code of Conduct, Academic Code of Honor, Drug and Alcohol Policy, Payment Policy, and all other academic and financial policies. Additional requirements can be found on the Application for Admission.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Analyze, understand, evaluate, and apply fundamental transformational leadership principles that are necessary to lead effective individual, team, and organizational change;
- Develop personal skills and take accountability for results; and
- Discover the leadership potential of all members of an organization and manage conflict.
MISSIONAL-CHURCH STUDIES LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Analyze, understand, evaluate, and apply fundamental transformational leadership principles that are necessary to provide effective individual, team, and organizational change;
- Acquire relational, contextual, discipleship, and mentoring skills; and
- Develop incarnational and missional skills for planting churches or establishing ministries in the marketplace
COUNSELING LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Acquire an understanding of the foundational elements of Christian-based, pastoral counseling;
- Acquire an understanding of the various types of counseling toward the goal of biblical integration within the framework of Christian principles and practice while being aware of diverse environments;
- Apply basic counseling and referral skills in a multicultural society to help with family and substance abuse problems including crisis situations.
THEOLOGY LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Develop an understanding of the process of God’s self-revelation and the unfolding of redemptive history;
- Develop an understanding of the categorical systems of the Bible which allow for a clear understanding of the whole of God’s Word and the essential doctrines of the Christian faith; and
- Develop an understanding of a Christian worldview; and skills to proclaim Christian theology in the midst of a diverse, multi-cultural world.
SPORTS MINISTRY LEARNING OUTCOMES
- Understand the principles of coaching and competing from a biblical point-of-view, including the importance of discipleship/mentoring;
- Acquire knowledge and skills in the areas of administrative leadership, strategic planning, legal matters, and financial management; and
- Develop an understanding of communication, sports marketing, and public relations to strategically reach sports enthusiasts with the Gospel.
- LE 5545 Foundations of Transformational Leadership
- LE 7549 Dynamics of Team Leadership
- LE 7570 Vision, Mission, and Organizational Effectiveness
- LE 7520 Missional Church Planting
- LE 7552 Missional Thought and Theology
- LE 7556 Missional Marketplace Ministry
COUNSELING AND CARE
- CO 5730 Crisis Intervention
- CO 5740 Introduction to Marriage and Family
- CO 6740 Cross-Cultural Counseling
- TH 5309 Essentials of Systematic Theology
- TH 5314 Ecclesiology and Eschatology
- TH 7327 Theology and Culture
- SM 5540 Competing Biblically 1
- SC 5544 Sports History, Culture, and Ministry
- SC 7575 Discipleship and Coaching